Water Treatment Operator Needed in Starkville MS
CITY OF STARKVILLE JOB DESCRIPTION
Title: Water Treatment Operator
Classification: Non -Exempt, Salary Grade 10
Date Prepared: July 23, 2019
Please send the information to n.ashford@cityofstarkville
Can also apply on the city website. www.cityofstarkville.org
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Water Treatment Operator work involves responsibility for the effective and efficient operation of water treatment plants and assures the public’s health and safety, giving attention to electric consumption, chemical usage, maintenance requirements, and equipment replacement.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Collect and analyze water samples and field data directly to assure compliance with specific protocols and water quality regulations. Preserve samples for submittal to laboratories ensure internal water quality standards in water system facilities.
• Calibrate, use and maintain portable instruments for water quality measurements. Perform field measurements for basic water quality parameters including chlorine, hardness, conductivity, turbidity, iron, oxidation-reduction, and dissolved oxygen.
• Receive laboratory reports. Compare test results to established federal, state and internal standards. Enter results into a database and report original and summarized results to the Water Quality section staff and customers.
• Interpret, present, and maintain a variety of records and logs of sample collection, analyses, test results, and operational data, maps and activities. Prepare regulatory compliance reports.
• Respond to water quality complaints/questions from residential and commercial customers related to such concerns as chlorine smell, off taste, water clarity/color, or chemical content.
• Maintain chemical stock, track chemical usage, re-order as required. Test chemical performance. Maintain chlorine filters and injector levels.
• Respond to inquiries from the public, regulatory agencies, consultants, contractors, and various governmental entities in a courteous manner. Provide information and/or resolve complaints in an efficient and timely manner. Prepare business correspondence.
• Maintain various water pumps. Flush and clean all water lines. Oversee all plumbing responsibilities in the water plants. Check flow switches to ensure proper operation and maintain generators.
• Perform preventive maintenance. Perform other duties as assigned or directed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Some knowledge of basic water chemistry and microbiology as it relates to treatment and supply of drinking water.
• Some knowledge of regulatory standards and monitoring requirements under the federal Safe Drinking Water Act & applicable state law.
• Some knowledge of water sampling techniques and procedures. Some knowledge of laboratory principles, terminology, safety precautions and equipment as they relate to water testing.
• Knowledge of and ability to use computers applicable to the duties of the position, including MS Office software packages including Word, and Excel.
• The ability to follow standard water sampling and field analysis procedures and maintain sample integrity.
• The ability to use laboratory and sampling equipment. Ability to use equipment such as a propane torch, an adjustable wrench, a pipe wrench, and a screwdriver or utility knife.
• The ability to compare test results to established standards and make appropriate reports to higher level staff.
• The ability to read and understand maps; perform spatial queries using GIS-based mapping software. Ability to establish and maintain effective and professional working relationships with other Water Utility staff, the general public, customers and laboratory personnel.
• Ability to communicate orally and in writing. Ability to work independently and as part of a team. Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions. Ability to keep complete and accurate records. Ability to operate a motor vehicle. Ability to maintain a professional attitude. Ability to maintain adequate attendance.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
• High school diploma from a school accredited by a regional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education or GED certificate issued by the appropriate state agency. A combination of equivalent education and experience likely to provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
• A minimum of one (1) year of routine laboratory or field sampling work. A combination of equivalent education and experience likely to provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
• Must possess a valid Mississippi Driver’s License and acceptable MVR.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Current State of Mississippi Class “B” Water Treatment Plant Operator’s license.
• A minimum of three (3) year of routine laboratory or field sampling work aspect of water distribution systems with at least one (1) of those years in a progressively responsible role.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The job is performed both indoors and outdoors in all types of weather conditions. Work exposes the employee to hazards of construction sites including dangers of moving heavy equipment, inclement weather conditions, and high noise levels. Work requires regular physical activities such as walking, climbing, crawling, standing, stooping, bending, and operation of a motor vehicle. May be required to lift objects weighing up to 50 pounds without assistance. This position is considered essential during inclement weather/emergency situations and to occasional call-out during night and other off-duty time during emergency/non-emergency events.
The duties listed above are intended as illustrations of the types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific job duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment contract and is subject to change as the needs of the City and requirements of the job change.
Regular and consistent attendance is a condition of continuing employment.
The City of Starkville, is an EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION employer. Candidates are considered for employment with the City, without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, military status, protected veteran status or other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
A drug screen is required for this position.